There's so much to do in Yakushima I can't possible cover everything, but I'm constantly expanding this list as I add to my blog! For more information about Yakushima and guided hikes that I offer, please visit www.yakushimalife.com or my facebook page.
- Top Four Destinations:
Shiratani Unsuikyo Park
Of course, the hiking doesn't stop there! There are countless more trails in varying states of maintenance. The following are from my personal hikes, but I'll try to concentrate on information relevant to visitors. For safety, tell someone where you are going and carry a whistle (so you can stay put and call for help if you get lost), and don't bite off more than you can chew. Please also check out my entry on Yakushima hiking etiquette and my Pack List for Day Hikers.
- Interior Mountains Trails to Kuromi Dake, Mt. Miyanoura, and Nagata Dake are regularly maintained. While these trails are not a walk-in-the-park, except in snow and high-wind conditions, they are enjoyed by hikers with a wide range of experience.
- Mt. Miyanoura to Jomon Sugi to Shiratani to Kusukawa a long 2-day hike through popular spots
- Exterior Mountains Don't be fooled by the low elevations. Some of these trails can prove treacherous, and you will also meet fewer people on these less famous trails. Tacchuu Dake is probably the safest (and most popular).
- Mocchomu-Dake (940 m) a physically interesting and rewarding day-hike
- Aiko-Dake (1235 m) a challenging day-hike up the mountain of heartbreak
- Hasa-Dake (1259 m) a mountain popular among the locals but not among tourists.
- Tachuu-Dake (1497 m) Will the natural "celestial pillar" at the peak make you a believer?
- Other Looking for lonely forest solace? Play it safe because these trails don't follow the beaten path.
Plants and Animals
- Fall flowers
- Parasitic Plants
- Arasaema Serratum
- Dangerous Sea Creatures
- Common Birds in the Mountains
- Common Snakes in Yakushima
- Filmy Ferns
- A Few Common Butterflies in Yakushima
Restaurants and Cafes
- Yakushima Gelato - SolaUmi
- Mori Cafe: Soft-serve by the airport
- Komorebi Okonomiyaki: Upscale Okonomiyaki in Miyanoura
- Smiley Cafe: Mornings in Anbo
- Shima Cafe La Monstera:Breakfast before your flight**New**
- Jurin Tea House: Curry and relaxation by the airport
- Issou Coffee Roastery: Worth the search
- Kiina Coffee and Accessory Shop: Pair it with Shitogo's Baynan Tree Park
- St. Pote: Classy Western riverside dining
- Maruya Cafe: Think outside the box
- Isaribi - Authentic Yakushima cooking
- Nomado Cafe
- YukiGokeYa - Shaved Ice and Coffee
- Ki no Mi - Best Mushroom Pizza
La Monstera: Omu-rice lunch near the airport NAburame